Find us on Google+

B&H Banner

B&H Photo Video Pro Audio photography Pro Audio Computers and Solutions Portable Entertainment Home Entertament photography

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Doors Open Toronto: Scadding Cabin

I promised some people historical buildings this week so I have to deliver. Today it's Scadding Cabin. One of the oldest original structures left in Toronto. Yes Campbell house is the oldest surviving building from York, but Scadding Cabin was located across the Don River in what was/is called East York. The city of Toronto spans a great distance across the shore of Lake Ontario. The cabin is literally a small log cabin. One room on the ground floor, and a loft for sleeping. The place was tiny.

Doors Open Toronto: Scadding Cabin
How tiny was it? The red bumper over the door was to warn all visitors. The person visible in the doorway? Shorter then me, not by much, but still shorter. I think the only person I know that could go through that door without ducking is my mom.

Doors Open Toronto: Scadding Cabin

Inside there were two ladies that talked about the history of the cabin. Including it's move and history on the CNE grounds (since 1879). As well as some of the furniture including Sir John Graves Simcoe's travelling desk.

Doors Open Toronto: Scadding Cabin

I took a few pictures, rather simple since there was only one room.

Doors Open Toronto: Scadding CabinDoors Open Toronto: Scadding CabinDoors Open Toronto: Scadding Cabin

I then moved on to the next historic site on the agenda. Old Fort York!

Paladin Phil

No comments:

Post a Comment