Find us on Google+

B&H Banner

B&H Photo Video Pro Audio photography Pro Audio Computers and Solutions Portable Entertainment Home Entertament photography

Friday, October 16, 2009

2008: Looking Up

I think I may have said this before, if not I will say it again. One of the first things I do when I step out for the first time of the day is look up. Don't ask why, there are many reasons why I have gotten into this habit. When it comes to taking pictures it is a great thing. I am not limited to what is on the ground or in front of me. I am also always looking around trying to be aware of what's going on. Anyway, looking up. I have been a cloud watcher since I was in my early teens. I have also been accused of having my head in the clouds, but that's a different story for a different forum. Watching clouds is a fun past time, and knowing about them makes it even better. I used to be a glider pilot in Air Cadets so I got real intimate with details. For instance I like the puffy cotton ball clouds (cumulus) best. That means lots of thermals and staying power in the air. Cumulus Nimbus are bad ones (thunder clouds), Cirrus clouds are nice to look at (high wispy clouds). All are great fodder for pictures.

Some of the best style of pictures are usually after rainstorms or just before. Where the clouds and the sun juxstapose for that brief instance causing beams of light to shine forth. Even rainbows can appear at these times. You just have to be ready for it and watching.

Aug 18-08 074RainbowClouds and trees

Sometimes it's not just about the sun, clouds, or other natural phenomena. Sometimes it's what's in the sky well you are looking. Birds, planes, contrails, they all add something to what you see.

X Marks the SpotFinal ApproachesAug 18-08 010

The sky is a canvas writ large. There is so much to see and capture it can take your breath away. I am always seeing new things and beautiful things so this subject will always have something to see. So enjoy the pictures and I will see you next time.

PaladinPhil

No comments:

Post a Comment