Find us on Google+

B&H Banner

B&H Photo Video Pro Audio photography Pro Audio Computers and Solutions Portable Entertainment Home Entertament photography

Friday, November 27, 2009

Public Sculpture: People Part 2

There's a lot of people that are immortalized in bronze or stone here in Toronto. Of course some people haven't had much to do with the city or province of Ontario. Still all of them are famous in one way or another. One piece that has had me scratching my head is of Winston Churchill located in Nathan Phillips Square. I do understand the profound effect he's had on a lot of people, and he does deserve a statue. Unfortunately I only took one picture at the time, my list is getting longer of places to revisit, and the lighting isn't the greatest.
Winston Churchill
In Queens park there is a statue of the poet Al Purdy. Apparently he was real famous, I might have read some of his works in high school. I will probably have to go find some and do a little catching up on my Canadian culture. So much to do, and so little time it seems.
Al Purdy PoetAl Purdy PoetAl Purdy Poet
At Queen and University there's a monument to Sir Adam Beck. The monument is in recognitian to his efforts and championing of hydro electric power stations all across Ontario. Of course he did much more then that. One of the many great Canadians that few school children it seems don't learn about, or pay attention to. I am speaking of myself as well.
Sir Adam Beck

On Front street, in front of the CBC building, there's a bronze sculpture of Glenn Gould. One of Canada's great musicians. The bench gets a fair bit of use in the summer, either people sitting for a break, or having pictures taken on it. The location is good because of the sun you get in the summer.
Glenn GouldGlenn GouldChilling with Glenn Gould
And yet another piece I am going to have to revisit with the new camera. I have definitely improved somewhat with my skill. At least I hope I have. Anyway, keep walking and keep learning about what you see around you.

Paladin Phil

No comments:

Post a Comment