Find us on Google+

B&H Banner

B&H Photo Video Pro Audio photography Pro Audio Computers and Solutions Portable Entertainment Home Entertament photography

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Nuit Blanche: 2010

First off, sorry about no post yesterday. I was feeling a little under the weather. Not to mention having to go through and trying to find the gems in the pile of dreck I took on Saturday night.

Yes, Saturday night was the annual Nuit Blanche art festival. Though calling some of the stuff out there art is debatable. It ranged from contemporary to performance, and the crowds were out to treat it like a party. In the downtown core a lot of streets were blocked off to regular traffic. Yonge, Queen, and Bloor. Just enough room for all the idiots and their drunken antics to have fun. And the antics. I was standing by a fountain trying to get a proper exposure when this horde of imbeciles walks by. Plenty of room around at that juncture. One of them though it would be a good idea to give me a hard shoulder. Lucky for the both of us that I am pretty solid when I stand. Otherwise I....ah never mind. Still stoked about the rudeness and crassness I saw on display at the festival.

Enough ranting, time for some pictures. I started off downtown in front of the Old City Hall at Bay and Queen st. I met up with a group of friends before we moved on to other parts to check out other exhibts. In front of the building was a group, can't remember their name, that was playing techno and other tunes on Game Boys. for those of you who can remember them, they were the Nintendo early portable games. Not quite 8 bit. These people were trying to put on a decent performance, but well, I have heard better....

Old City Hall
Game Boy TechnoGame Boy Techno
Game Boy Techno

Across the street some one had decked out a bus shelter and called it a "house", too crowded to get in there and I wasn't really feeling up to shoving around to get that perfect shot.

Bus House
Bus HouseBus House

After checking stuff out the group gave the role of leadership to me, being the only one to think of grabbing a guide and map, and I led them off north up Bay street and to look for worthy exhibits. Luckily there appeared to be two behind Old City Hall, and in Holy Trinity Square.

City Hall

Well, there were lines, and lines and lines...It was also chilly out and most of us weren't willing to stand around for 15 minutes or so.

We walked by the one exhibit at the back of the building and I glanced in to see a screen with something projected on it. Off to the square where we were confronted with another line into the Trinity Church. Nope, not going to do it. My fellow photog and I though were captivated by the fountain. Said one that I ranted about earlier.

Holy Trinity Square Fountain
Holy Trinity Square FountainHoly Trinity Square Fountain

There were also some origami cranes hanging from tree branches that lined the pathway to the church entrance...

Tree Cranes
Tree CranesTree Cranes

Well that's it for today. More tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Love all of it Phil. Especially the clock tower, fountain and paper cranes.
    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete